Read further and explore the significant guidelines to train your duck hunting dog for your upcoming duck hunting vacations in San Antonio Texas.
Something that every duck hunting enthusiast in San Antonio Texas requires understanding about the retrievers prior to commencing to train them is that these dogs are born to hunt. Evidently, having a good retriever with waterfowling pedigree delivers them a little genetic edge. However, even while having the best duck hunting vacations in Texas with the best dogs, they have to be properly trained and get their hunting skills refined before they can actually head out in the field or on the waters for making the hunt.
Significant Dog Training Tips for Your Retrievers to Have Memorable Duck Hunting Vacations in Texas:
Prior to getting into the waterfowling specifics, basic training is the best way to start. One of the first things that every waterfowler must work on with their duck hunting dog is the leash then adjusts to a check cord. Always keep in mind while training, keep praising your dog when he performs well and never overdo it. Let us quickly go through the key commands to teach your retriever prior to making a hunt:-
- Sit-Command: Connect the leash on your dog’s collar, make him stand besides you and then tenderly pull up on the leash. Through doing this your dog will sit naturally that is when you must provide him a solid “Sit” command. Keep repeating this process multiple times and ultimately your dog will relate this command with the action of sitting.
- Stay-Command: After the dog adopts the sitting command, it is time to put into effect the stay command. For that you need to keep your hand straight in the face of the dog and tell him the “Stay” command. After this, drop your dog’s leash and take some steps away, holding your hand up like you did initially. If your retriever tries to come back to you, position him back at the original position and give him the “Stay” command once again. Keep repeating this process while increasing the distance after each successful attempt.
- Come-Command: While your dog has mastered the sit command and stay command, he should now be trained with the “Come” command. Connect a long rope with your dog’s collar and move around 20-25 feet away after giving him the stay command. As you reach this distance, tenderly pull on the rope while giving him the come command. As the dog comes back to you, reward him and again bring him back to the initial position, keep repeating this process and amplifying the distance every time. If your dog does not follow the command before you call him then, bring him back to the initial position with the Stay command till the time he could repeat this command perfectly.
- Heel-Command: Re-connect the original leash with your dog’s collar and get the dog walk alongside you, this must be taught to the dog right on your off side. When your dog is walking alongside you, give him the “Heel” command so he relates it with the command. If your dog makes attempt to lead you then, start walking in the opposite direction so that the dog get back to your side. When your dog comes back to his right position, give him the “Heel” command and ultimately he will understand that he must “heel” to avoid any tension in the leash.
Additional Training to Provide to Your Dog to Enjoy Your Hunt on the Next Duck Hunting Trip in San Antonio:
After your dog has understood and mastered the above explained basic commands, you can shift to the hunting related training. Read on to know more:-
- Birdcage Training: The faster you get your dog used to the crate or birdcage, the better it would be for the hunt. Just leave the crate out and open it so that the dog watches it as a fun activity, not merely for being taken to inspect the shots. Ultimately, your dog will get more comfy, specifically while you are loading your dog into the car for duck hunting vacations in San Antonio Texas.
- Socializing: During the hunt, the dog might be around other individuals and other dogs. Your dog must not get aggressive otherwise your duck hunting trip will become a big disaster. Start through introducing your dog to a friend, colleague or family member’s dog and hone to dog parks and social settings to make him familiar with other people and other dogs.
- Revealing the Dog to Ducks: Now commence training him with the ducks or a dead duck from a hunt. You need to make your dog take the duck in his mouth, but not biting the duck aggressively. Making him aware of these conditions initially will prevent him from mishandling or harming the ducks in the field or on the water.
- Hunting Circumstances: Things can get extremely tricky during the hunt therefore, your dog requires being comfortable in the open fields, heavy cover, both in and out of the water and gunfire. This is going to take a lot of practice and patience to expose your dog to such conditions so that he does not get frightened or hyper.
So, what’s stopping you? Start training your dog with the above elucidated duck hunting training tips for your retriever to make the best hunt on all of your upcoming duck hunting vacations in San Antonio Texas.
Bay Flats Lodge, a luxurious and the best duck hunting lodge in San Antonio Texas which help duck hunting enthusiast enjoys the guided outdoor duck hunting vacations experience which is matched up with a blend of luxury outdoor sports accommodations and top-notch culinary offerings.