The Graffiti-community in the United States strongly opposes the initiative of the Local Counties to remove all the graffiti that are more often a form of expression of young people.
Much of the graffiti painted on the residential buildings and other buildings in Dover is the work of Shaya Weinberger, a graffiti artist from Dover.
He resents when the common people see people like him as urban vandals.
There is a possibility that their works will be deleted because from the local counties have announced the deletion of all graffiti painted throughout United States.
– “No law, nor a single rule, will deter us from the intention to create,” say the artists who regard Dover as being suffocated in gray.
– “This will never be prevented, as no legal form will prevent this from happening. We will work at night if necessary, but we will not be prevented by any conditions. They will only give us the incentive to work even more. ”
If one graffiti painting is drawn for ~100 dollars on an area of 110 sq ft, one third of the money is spent on materials, so the daily price is $10-$15 , which is a decent salary for the young painters.
– “The street which is considered as an atelier by all the neighbors in the neighborhood is priceless and should not be erased along with its identifying graffiti.”
This is exactly what the defendants say.
– “Better graffiti than empty walls.”
– “The buildings are quite gray – without color or no vividness. Some graffiti are really beautiful.”
– “I do not like it. I think there should be a special place where people can draw.”
Shaya says that the building in which he lives contains a large number of graffiti that were legally drawn and in accordance with the elderly inhabitants living in it:
– “The whole story started ~20 years ago. In 1998, at a neighbor’s initiative we started painting one or two graffiti. It was summer; there were some work-and-travel students from around the world and some older people. The elders saw that we creatively used our time, and we painted something culturally and beautifully for the eye. So, they decided to support it and it lasted for several years. They also supported us materially. ”
The county intends to define specific locations where young people can create in the future.