The global retail market is growing at 5.6% year on year, but in South America and Eastern Europe that rate is far exceeded, according to research by The Business Research Company. Though both have slowed from their recent breakneck pace, South America’s sales to individuals and households will grow at 8.2%, Eastern Europe’s at 7.2% year on year to 2020. In contrast, in the developed markets of North America and Western Europe, growth will pick up, but only to 4.8% and 2.8% respectively. With growth at 6.4%, and a market worth nearly a third of the global total, Asia Pacific is where retail sales will put on most value, rising by over $2,600 billion between 2016 and 2020.
The global retail market is highly fragmented: Walmart is the largest player, and that has only 2% of the total. Some mergers and acquisitions in this market have attracted attention – Amazon’s takeover of Whole Foods Market, and Walgreens of Alliance Boots and Rite Aid. Overall, however, it would be wrong to conclude that significant consolidation is taking place at retail. It is still the domain of small and medium-sized businesses.
The biggest trend in retail is the erosion of offline stores’ shares by online retailers such as Amazon and Alibaba. Globally over 90% of retail purchases are still made offline but it is ecommerce and other non-store retailers that are growing fastest, at nearly 10% year on year, against an average for all segments of 5.6%. Even in Asia Pacific store sales are achieving only 5.8%.
Where to Learn More
Read Retail Market Global Briefing 2018 from The Business Research Company for information on the following:
- Markets Covered: Specialty Retailers, Department Stores & Other General Merchandise Stores, and Ecommerce & Other Non-store Retailers.
- Companies Mentioned: Wal-Mart, Costco, Kroger, Amazon Inc., Home Depot, Schwarz Unternehmens Treuhand KG, Aldi Einkauf, GmbH & Co., CVS Health, Carrefour, Tesco
- Geographic scope: Asia Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, Middle East, Africa
- Time series: Five years historic and forecast.
- Data: Market value in $ billions.
- Data segmentations: Regional breakdowns, market share of competitors, key sub segments.
- Sourcing and Referencing: Data and analysis throughout the report are sourced using end notes.
Interested to know more? Here is a full scope of Services reports to explore:
- Department Stores And Other General Merchandise Stores Market Global Briefing 2018 https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/department-stores-and-other-general-merchandise-stores-market-global-briefing-2018
- Ecommerce And Other Non-Store Retailers Market Global Briefing 2018 https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/ecommerce-and-other-non-store-retailers-market-global-briefing-2018
- Retail And Wholesale Market Global Briefing 2018 https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/retail-and-wholesale-market-global-briefing-2018
- Specialty Retailers Market Global Briefing 2018 https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/specialty-retailers-market-global-briefing-2018
- Wholesale Market Global Briefing 2018 https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/wholesale-market-global-briefing-2018
About The Business Research Company.
The Business Research Company is a Business Intelligence Company which excels in company, market and consumer research. It has offices in the UK, the US and India and a network of trained researchers in 15 countries globally.
The Business Research Company
Europe: +44 207 1930 708
Asia: +91 8897263534
Americas: +1 315 623 0293 Email: [email protected]