What is a sunscreen?
Also known as sunblock or suntan lotion, a sunscreen is basically a lotion, cream, spray or gel that protects the skin from sun’s harmful ultraviolet radiations by absorbing and reflecting the UV rays. Sunscreens also help you avoid sunburn and excessive tanning. Medical practitioners often recommend the use of sunscreen lotions and gels as they help prevent skin cancer such as melanoma. The use of a broad spectrum sunscreen can also help you avoid photodermatitis and other types of allergic reactions to sunlight. Sunscreens are often rated and labeled according to their sun protection factor or SPF. SPF is meant to measure the amount of UV rays that finally manage to reach the skin. For instance, ‘SPF 15’ indicates that 1/15th of the ultraviolet radiations reach the skin through the protective layer of the sunscreen.
What are the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation?
As so much effort goes into preventing the UV rays of the sun from penetrating the skin, it consequently becomes important to know what exactly ultraviolet radiation is and what its effects are. Ultraviolet radiation is an electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength that is shorter than that of visible light. Constituting about ten percent of the total light output of the sun, UV radiation forms a part of sunlight. Most of ultraviolet light is filtered out by the atmosphere before it can reach the earth. Some of the effects of UV radiation on the human body have been listed below.
- Excessive tanning
- Skin cancer
- Wrinkling of the skin
- Premature aging
What are the advantages of applying a good sunscreen?
Many people balk at applying sunscreens, believing that it is nothing more than an optional beauty product that has no significant benefits beyond being an anti-aging product. However, this is far from being the case, as sunscreens are highly important for a number of reasons. Some of these have been listed below.
- The depletion of the ozone layer means that more ultraviolet radiation than before is penetrating through the atmosphere of the earth.
- The rate of skin cancer is on the rise. It is a proven fact that sunscreen reduces the risk of skin cancer.
- A good sunscreen cream or lotion can help prevent discoloration and wrinkling of the skin. It also reduces blotchiness, dark spots and excessive tanning.
What ingredients should a good sunscreen contain?
When buying a sunblock, you should always try to purchase natural and organic products that do not use harmful chemicals and compounds. Chemicals such as oxybenzone and octinoxate can have harmful side-effects that damage your skin in the long term. You should therefore only buy a sunblock from a reputed skincare company that specializes in manufacturing natural products. An organic sunscreen lotion or gel should ideally have the following ingredients for maximum effectiveness.
- Maris Sal (Sea Salt) – This is the salt obtained from the Dead Sea. It has several benefits, such as revitalizing dull complexion and enhancing skin hydration. It also exfoliates dead skin cells and prevents sunburn.
- Laminaria Japonica Extract – This is a type of seaweed, commonly found on the shores of Japan. It eliminates toxins from the skin and prevents pigmentation. It also reduces discoloration, thus helping you achieve an even and radiant skin tone.
To buy the best sunscreen for sensitive skin, you should browse the internet for a renowned beauty and skincare brand that manufactures sunscreens with the above-mentioned ingredients that can help you maintain healthy, supple and radiant skin even at the height of summer. A good sunscreen can enhance your long-term health, beauty and wellbeing.