“Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future”. The same is true for cardiac diseases, as it is nearly impossible to accurately project when one might suffer from cardiac failure or some other form of cardiac ailment. The recent innovations in cardiac biomarkers aid in diagnosis, risk stratification, and guidance of treatment. Cardiac biomarkers evaluate heart function and most of these cardiac biomarkers are enzymes.
Cardiac biomarkers have evolved as essential tools in cardiology for the prevention, diagnosis, and management of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) and for the diagnosis and identification of heart failure. Due to severe stress condition of the heart, these cardiac biomarkers show up in the blood, and the level of biomarkers is usually used to find out how seriously the heart is affected. The various cardiac biomarkers include Cardiac Troponin, Creatinine Kinase (CK), Myoglobin, Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH), and Aspartate Transaminase (AST).
Are you having some of these symptoms???
• Chest pain or pressure lasting for more than a few minutes
• Pain or discomfort in shoulders, neck, arms, or jaw
• Chest pain that is not getting better with rest or with the application of nitroglycerin
• Respiratory probelms, along with vomiting, sweating or paleness, and fainting
• Rapid or irregular pulse.
If you are undergoing all/ or some of these symptoms, then you may be suffering from a coronary artery blockage.
How is the cardiac biomarkers market growing???
• Excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, stress, drug abuse, and obesity are augmenting the prevalence of cardiac diseases. According to the Institute for Health Metrics & Evaluation, globally, the number of deaths due to cardiovascular diseases increased by 41% between 1990 and 2013, increasing from 12.3 million deaths to 17.3 million deaths. Hence, the number of consumers is also increasing along with.
• Technological advancements using cardiac biomarker combinations is another aspect helping this market grow. Using these biomarkers in combination enables them to also detect traces of protein through highly sensitive assays that help in predicting mortality and reducing healthcare costs.
The emergence of non-invasive cardiac imaging technologies, such as cardiac magnetic resonance imaging, single photon emission computed tomography, 64-slice computed tomographic angiography, stress echocardiography, and stress echocardiography, has aided the diagnosis of coronary artery disease.
However, lack of specificity (like Aspartate Transaminase (AT) is not specific for cardiac muscle and thus its detection is not specific to cardiac damage, Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) is also not specific in patients having co-morbidities, such as muscle or hepatic disease) is hampering the growth of this market. False positive tests by cardiac biomarkers are also restraining this market.
A report by Mordor Intelligence, a market research firm estimates double digit growth rate for Global Cardiac Biomarker Market estimated to become a market worth of USD XX million in 2022.
Due to unhealthy and stressful lifestyle, anyone can suffer from heart failure and coronary blockage nowadays. Early detection of heart failure after the onset of chest pain and low cost of these treatments have boosted the market, thus augmenting the growth of the same.
Hurdles for Cardiac Biomarkers Market are:
Issues related to regulatory and reimbursement systems
Point-of-care (POC) testing offers the opportunity to provide more accurate and early diagnosis in less time. The technology of POC testing uses whole blood to measure one or more analytes that include cardiac biomarkers. Evaluation of POC testing of cardiac biomarker provides good clinical diagnostic results. POC tests are also growing at a faster rate compared to lab-based tests, and this may drive the market in the future.